Record number of Responsible Care awards showcase chemical industry’s essential role in the fight against COVID-19
News | 2020-10-13
Today, 16 chemical companies and federations across Europe were awarded for their global response to fight the COVID-19 pandemic. The 2020 European Responsible Care awards “Caring in COVID-19 Times” recognised company efforts to keep critical supply chains running, to protect workers and the workplace and to support our communities in the unprecedented times.
Marco Mensink, Cefic Director General praised the winners saying “we are showcasing the amazing work that companies across Europe have done during the COVID-19 pandemic; keeping our society running, keeping the industry running and bringing solutions that matter when the situations have been really difficult”.
Winning companies and federations showcased their quick action to reshape production lines; integrating digitalised processes to meet new demands for critical products, and making them accessible to health, medical and elderly care providers. To protect workers, companies rolled out impressive return to work plans, trained employees, and integrated broad health and safety measures to protect their employees, their families and neighbouring communities.
“Today you showed us again how the creativity of the chemical industry is bringing more added value for society than ever before. Our sector is a solution provider for other industries, and for society at large. It has been again reaffirmed in the European Commission’s Green Deal that the chemical industry is an essential link in the value creation chain for Europe’s economy” said Vincent De Cuyper, Member of the Executive Committee at Solvay S.A and Chair of Cefic’s Programme Council for Health, Safety and Environment, Responsible Care and Supply Chains.
Since the beginning of the crisis, the European chemical industry’s top priority has been to ensure the health and safety of employees and to secure supplies of critical chemicals into medical, environmental and food supply chains amidst border closures and lockdown measures. Key examples include providing biocides for disinfectants, non-woven fabrics for mouthmasks and supporting the European Commission’s work on green lanes and movement of workers.
Winners per category:
Category 1: Upholding and Reshaping Production Lines
- Chemi-Pharm “Upholding and reshaping production process”
- Perstorp Group “Perstorp Health Care Aid”
- PKN ORLEN “Launch of the hand sanitizer liquid production line”
- Sekab BioFuels & Chemicals “Production of hand sanitizer and surface disinfection”
Category 2: Protection of Workplace and People
- Dow “Dow COVID-19 program and Return to Workplace plan”
- Covestro “We are 1” – especially in times of pandemic”
- GRUPO JUSTE “Acting fast for the same goal: Together against COVID-19”
- VCI “VCI Platform : Emergency Supply Disinfectants”
- Special Commendation: Bracco ”Bracco Taking Care in COVID-19 Times”
Category 3: Supporting Communities
- Bayer “Against COVID-19 Stronger Together”
- Grupa Azoty Zaklady Azotowe Kedzierzyn “Support to fight against COVID-19”
- GRUPO JUSTE “Joining efforts, spreading commitment and saving time against COVID-19”
Category 3: initiatives encompassing several categories:
- Arexons “Conversion of production plants to donate Hygiene detergent”
- Federchimica “Federchimica strategy and implementation plan to fight COVID-19 pandemic in Italy”
- INEOS “INEOS ’#Handson’ Handgel Initiative”
- SEQENS “Seqens’ answer to face the global health crisis”
The European Responsible Care Awards have taken place since 2005 to recognise outstanding approaches in implementing the Responsible Care programme.
The 2020 Responsible Care Award jury consists of the following people:
- Simon Minett, Managing Director, Challoch Energy
- Emma Argutyan, Director General of the European Chemical Employers Group, ECEG
- Rasmus Valanko, Director Sustainability, Kemira OYJ (2019 RC Awards winner)
Responsible Care is the global chemical industry’s voluntary commitment to improving chemical management across supply chains. The initiative provides chemical companies with practical support to monitor and improve the safe production, handling and use of chemicals across supply chains. Cefic’s role is to promote Responsible Care in Europe and to ensure consistency of implementation by national member federations.
For further information
For more information please contact Cefic:
Roosa-Maiju Huhtaniska, Media Relations Manager
+ 32.4.899.05.703. or email@example.com.