About the industry
The chemical sector is one of the most important industrial sectors in Finland. It covers about 20% of industrial production and exports of goods. The Sales of the chemical sector is about 20 billion euros, and it employs directly 34,000 people in Finland.
- Investments of a billion euros come to Finland each year
- R&D investments of about 400 million euros yearly
- Goods exports are about 10 billion euros each year
The chemical industry in Finland covers
- Oil, gas and petrochemical industry
- Basic chemical industry (process industry)
- Product industry: pharmaceutical industry, plastic and rubber industry, cosmetics and detergents, paint industry
We all need Chemistry
Chemistry is part of a good life and present in everything that we see, experience or feel around us or within ourselves. It is a constantly evolving natural discipline that unites different fields and people. How can we ensure that there is enough food, natural resources and energy for the world’s growing population? Clean water, renewable fuels and medicines all have to do with chemistry.
Responsible Care – Our commitment to Sustainability
The sustainable development programme of the chemical sector celebrates its 25th anniversary in Finland in 2017. A total of about 100 companies are engaged in this comprehensive programme, which covers 80 percent of chemical sector production in Finland.